Soups Meant to be Shared – Final Feast
Broccoli Cheddar Soup
- 1/2 stick unsalted butter high-quality
- 1/2 medium yellow onion finely diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 cups half and half
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 2 Tablespoons flour separated
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 cup carrots julienned
- 4 cups broccoli florets about 1 head
- 2 1/2 cups sharp cheddar cheese about 8 ounces
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Grate the cheese and let it come to room temperature.
- Melt the butter in a large pot or dutch oven, over medium heat.
- Add the onions and heat until soft and translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Add the garlic and cook for an additional minute.
- Add one Tablespoon of flour and stir to combine. Heat for one minute, stirring continuously.
- Slowly pour in the chicken broth and stir to combine. Add in the nutmeg.
- Add the half and half, increase the heat slightly to bring the mixture to a light bubble and allow it to thicken, about 5 minutes.
- Reduce the heat to medium. Add the carrots and broccoli to the soup and let the mixture simmer until the vegetables are very tender. Stir occasionally as it cooks.
- Turn off the heat and place the pot on a cool burner. Allow the base to cool for 5 minutes.
- Sprinkle the remaining 1 Tablespoon of flour over the shredded cheese.
- Add the cheese/flour in 4 separate batches, stirring to incorporate as each batch is added.
- Once the cheese is melted and combined, serve it immediately and enjoy!