Don’t be afraid to serve something substantial alongside your finger foods and simple snacks at your next backyard tailgate! Your family or guests will need nourishment to cheer on your team!
We whipped up the ultimate championship chili using high-quality ground beef from the farmers of the Kentucky Beef Council.
Each person can customize their bowl based on the fixin’s and toppings you set out (don’t even get me started on the whole cheese versus peanut butter fiasco). Sometimes the weather can be as unpredictable as calls made by the referees, so in case the cool sets in you may want to have some warm libations ready to sub in off the bench. We adore the fall touch of warm cider with cinnamon sticks.
Championship Chili RecipePrint Recipe
- 2 T vegetable oil
- 2 onions chopped
- 1 T minced garlic
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 lb hot sausage
- 1 can peeled and diced tomatoes with juice (14.5 ounce)
- 1 can dark beer (12 fluid ounce) , can also use bottled
- 1 cup strong brewed coffee
- 2 cans tomato paste (6 ounce)
- 1 can beef broth (14 ounce)
- ½ cup packed brown sugar
- 3 ½ T chili powder
- 1 T cumin seeds
- 1 T unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp ground cayenne pepper or 1/2 for kiddos
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 cans kidney beans drained, (15 ounce)
- 2 cans kidney beans (15 ounce)
- Heat oil in large stockpot over medium heat. Cook onions, garlic, and ground beef/sausage in oil for 10 minutes, or until the meat is well browned and the onions are tender.
- Mix in the diced tomatoes with juice, dark beer, coffee, tomato paste, and beef broth. Season with brown sugar, chili powder, cumin, cocoa powder, oregano, cayenne pepper, coriander, and salt. Stir in all 4 cans of beans. Reduce heat to low, and simmer for 2 hours.
If simple gift-giving brings you joy, you would love the ideas we share every month in our digital lookbook Certified Celebrator Squad!