People have told me Biscuits & Gravy is kind of a southern thing, but I’m tellin’ you – wherever you call home, bless the bellies under your roof with this delicious dish! Not only will your family love this comforting casserole, they will treasure the time with you! Rather than sacrificing moments with family by standing over the stove, this dish can be PRE-prepared! Simply put the casserole together the day before, then pop it in the oven in the morning!
We have enjoyed B&G casserole on special occasions like Christmas morning, but it’s easy enough to throw together that we also have it in our regular rotation! I might make it on Saturday or early Sunday morning before Brady gets up, and we dig into it after church. Sometimes our church friends will come over after the service and they’ll text me wondering (hoping!) if we are having B&G! It is definitely a friends and family favorite!
Baked Biscuts & GravyPrint Recipe
- 1 can large flaky biscuits such as Grands
- ½ pound ground breakfast sausage
- 3 Tablespoons flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 2 ½ cups milk
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees (F).
- Prepare a small casserole dish (approximately 7×10) with cooking spray. Set aside.
- Open biscuits, and cut biscuits into quarters.
- Layer half of the quarters in prepared pan.
- Bake for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, prepare gravy.
- In a heavy skillet, brown the ground breakfast sausage over medium high heat until fully cooked.
- Sprinkle the cooked sausage with 3 Tablespoons of flour.
- Use a wooden spoon to stir flour into sausage until completely absorbed.
- Lower heat to medium, and cook flour/sausage mixture for 3-5 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add milk, and stir to combine.
- Add salt and black pepper.
- Stir frequently until mixture comes to a slight boil.
- Taste, and adjust seasonings as desired. (I usually add more black pepper)
- If the gravy is too thick, add a bit more milk. You want the gravy to be thickened but not too thick, not “globby,” it should still be slightly runny.
- Pour gravy over the cooked biscuits.
- Layer the remaining uncooked, quartered biscuits over the gravy.
- Place casserole dish on a baking sheet, and bake for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. If they start to over-brown, you can cover with foil for the last 10 minutes or so.
- Serve immediately.
If simple gift-giving brings you joy, you would love the ideas we share every month in our digital lookbook Certified Celebrator Squad!